Pyraf problem

Arshpreet Singh arsh840 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 10:04:44 EST 2016

On Thursday, 25 February 2016 20:07:52 UTC+5:30, Sapna Mishra  wrote:
> Dear Sir/Mam,
>
> I am using python for my astronomy purpose, for that I want to use PyRaf, but strange thing is occurring that pyraf is getting open as a root but out side my root user directory when I am typing pyraf I am getting like;
> No graphics/display possible for this session.
> Tkinter import failed.
> The numpy package is required by PyRAF and was not found. Please visit http://numpy.scipy.org

Hi Sapna, You can't run directly X-window system from root account, SO you are getting Tkinter error.

You can try to install as follows:

sudo pip install pyraf

But befoore that you also need to install numpy as it is required for pyraf or scipy too.

SO you need to run
sudo pip install numpy scipy

Above instructions will work only for Python2.X