Pyraf problem

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Feb 25 11:14:15 EST 2016

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 01:37 am, Sapna Mishra wrote:

> Dear Sir/Mam,
>
> I am using python for my astronomy purpose, for that I want to use PyRaf,
> but strange thing is occurring that pyraf is getting open as a root but

I am sorry, I don't understand what "getting open as a root" means.

> out side my root user directory when I am typing pyraf I am getting like;
> No graphics/display possible for this session. Tkinter import failed. The
> numpy package is required by PyRAF and was not found. Please visit
> http://numpy.scipy.org

Where are you getting this? Is it a Python traceback? If so, please copy and
paste the entire traceback, starting with the line:

Traceback

and ending with the last of the error message.

Where are you typing pyraf? In the Python interpreter or the operating
system shell? Is the prompt >>> or $ or something else?

Are you using the default Python interactive interpreter, IDLE, or some
third party IDE?

Please explain how you launch Python, e.g.:

"I double-click on the Python icon on the desktop"

"I open a terminal, and enter python at the shell prompt"

Or something else?

What version of Python are you using? What operating system?

> I have added bath of pyraf in my bashrc file , I have even downloaded
> numpy but again it is showing same error.

What have you added to your bashrc file? Did you add it to the PATH or the
PYTHONPATH?

What happens if you run this at the bash prompt?

python -c "import sys; print(sys.path)"

Do you see the path to pyraf in Python's path? (Python does not use the same
path as bash.)

--
Steven