Python Not Working as expected on Win 8 and above.

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 12:16:28 EST 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 7:35 AM, MWS <miragewebstudio12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> couldn't find the default install python directory (maybe i didn't pay
> attention earlier), later, after some scratching my head and other
> intelligent thoughts and experiments i found it got installed in the users
> hidden appdata folder by default(confusing as i expected it to either get
> installed in a root folder or program files and also wondering why).

The new installer uses the standard locations for per-user and
per-machine installations, but you can change it to use whatever you
want. The following are the default installation locations (using
"shell:" links).

per-user install
shell:UserProgramFiles\Python\PythonXY[-32]

per-machine install
shell:ProgramFiles[x86]\PythonXY[-32]

UserProgramFiles defaults to "shell:Local AppData\Programs". You can
relocate it, but I'd only do that for a new account.