Python Not Working as expected on Win 8 and above.

MWS miragewebstudio12 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 08:35:04 EST 2016

On Saturday 13 February 2016 07:13 AM, Joel Goldstick wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Manas Soni <sonimanas695 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded python and when I click on it, it asks me to repair
>> which I do, it then says successful however when I click on it again it
>> won’t let me on it
>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>>
>> --
>>
> I don't do windows, so I can't give you an answer.  To the group, this has
> come up so consistantly lately.  Maybe a windows python user could explain
> why this is so confusing to newbies on windows?

Hello,

Just to add to the above discussion, i find that when my workplace
updated from win 7 to win 8.1 with fresh install, i downloaded the
official python 3.5 and installed it.  Everything went well during
installation, but, i couldn't find the default install python directory
(maybe i didn't pay attention earlier), later, after some scratching my
head and other intelligent thoughts and experiments i found it got
installed in the users hidden appdata folder by default(confusing as i
expected it to either get installed in a root folder or program files
and also wondering why).  I used pycharm for working on previous win
version, so after installing the same again i selected the python.exe
file as default interpreter.  The big headache i found is that
previously i could easily install packages from the pycharm interface,
but currently the that thing is not working nor could i use it to run
any of my previous apps(scipts) i created on win 7 (maybe not a python
problem and i may find a workaround).  Finally as i had to get my work
done, i used a (trusted) portable version of python3.4 with preinstalled
modules and that got me working.  Wonder why is that so hard to work on
win with python.

I work on linux at home and i never faced such a problem on it because
it is natively supported on it.  Wonder when will microsoft understand
that some programs need to be natively supported even if they are not
made by them.

I love windows for what they are but i hold linux even more dearer for
what it is.

George

PS : The system has upgraded to Win 10 but not tested the python
installation on it.