What's the best/neatest way to get Unicode data from a database into a grid cell?

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Sun Feb 7 07:42:45 EST 2016

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> So the question then becomes: Under Python 3, can you use regular
> string objects for both the things you're working with? I can confirm
> that the inbuilt sqlite3 module works just fine with Unicode text; so
> all you need to do is try out your GUI code under Python 3. I've no
> idea how good wx support in Py3 is, so you might find you need to
> switch GUI toolkits to get everything working; but whether it's with
> wxWidgets, GTK, QT, or some other library, you should be able to put
> something together under Python 3 that "just works" as regards
> Unicode. Caveat: I haven't done any serious GUI programming using
> Python.

Sadly wxpython doesn't work at all in Python 3.  There's a project
called Phoenix to move it across to Python 3 but it's nowhere near
stable yet, which is rather a pity.

So the question is do I stay with 2.7 and live with the Unicode
difficulties or do I try and move to another GUI that does work with
Python 3.

Are there any Python 3 GUIs that would be reasonably easy to move to?
E.g. ones which have a grid object and which work in the same sort of
way as wxpython in general?

--
Chris Green
·