How a module is being marked as imported?

Kevin Conway kevinjacobconway at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 11:11:09 EST 2016

As an attempt to answer your original question, Python doesn't explicitly
mark a module as done. It does keep imports cached in sys.modules, though.
The behaviour you describe where later imports get the same module object
is driven by that cache.

There are cases, such as cyclical imports, where the object in sys.modules
is empty for a period of time and acts as a placeholder until the code from
that module is loaded. During that time, any usage of the module would
result in a similar failure to what you have described.

Additionally, if you are writing multithreaded code then acquiring the GIL
may not be enough. There is another lock used for imports.