.py file won't open in windows 7

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Feb 4 08:09:05 EST 2016

On 04/02/2016 12:52, Yossifoff Yossif wrote:
> Hallow,
> I try to open a .py file (attached), but what I get is a windows DOS window opening and closing in a couple of seconds. Ran repair of the program, nothing happened.
> I cannot see error messages and don't know where to look for ones.
> Would appreciate your piece of advice.

Attachments won't make it through to the list, Yossif. But your code is
basically something like this:

"""
import sys

def main():
  # calculate stuff
  print(stuff)

if __name__ == '__main__':
  sys.exit(main())
"""

In that case, the program starts (in a console window), runs, prints the
result, and then closes. You've got a few simple ways of seeing the output:

* Run the program from the command line (start a console window in the
directory where the code is and type "ss7calc.py")

https://docs.python.org/3/faq/windows.html#how-do-i-run-a-python-program-under-windows

* Instead of use sys.exit immediately, add input("Press enter...") to
the end of your code:

  https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.html?highlight=input#input

eg:

result = main()
input("Press enter...")
sys.exit(result)

* set the PYTHONINSPECT environment variable for your user

  https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html#envvar-PYTHONINSPECT

* Use a shebang line "#!python -i" (without the quotes) at the top of
your program.

  https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html#shebang-lines

These last two options will drop into the Python interpreter after your
code has run.

TJG