Reply to whom? (was: Efficient Wrappers for Instance Methods)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:29:03 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Bernardo Sulzbach
<mafagafogigante at gmail.com> wrote:
> This got a little big. I accidentally did not change the address from
> Sven's to the list and emailed him. Seconds later, he replied to the
> list quoting my entire message so that I wouldn't have to send it to
> the list too (after his reply, which would make it hard to
> understand). I thanked him for the favor.
>
> Then you two started going on about mail clients buttons and "here's a
> 'how to change recipient address'".

You don't have to take it personally; sometimes, the best thing to do
is to call someone out for the benefit of those watching from the
sidelines. Steven's explanation of how to reply-list when you can't
reply-list should be of value to everyone who uses Gmail, for
instance.

Incidentally, I tend to follow a simplified model:

1) Hit Reply-All
2) Edit your reply, yada yada, content
3) Remove the poster's name from To
3a) Also remove any previous individuals from Cc, if other people have
been replying-all
4) Send

So the list address ends up in Cc rather than To. Does this cause
problems for anyone? I've been doing it for quite a while, and it's a
lot more convenient than moving the address up to To; but I won't if
it bothers folks.

(Oh, and I sometimes do steps 2 and 3 in the other order, but only
because Gmail lets me press Ctrl-Enter to send the post if the
cursor's in the body, but for some reason won't let me do that if the
cursor's in the To or Cc field. Dunno why.)

ChrisA