learning and experimenting python.

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sat Dec 31 18:53:00 EST 2016

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 06:34 am, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 15:41:09 +0000, mm0fmf <none at invalid.com> declaimed
> the following:
>

>>That could explain why there are so many crashes in the US, the drivers
>>are looking at the road right in front of the hood/bonnet

This fortunately is not a problem in Australia, where the drivers' eyes are
firmly fixed at all times to the iPhone they are holding just below the
steering wheel.

>>and not in the
>>distance where you see XING and PED. I know some writing is written
>
> For the most part, if those markings are in the distance, the effects
> of foreshortening makes them illegible. You have to be in a few car
> lengths before you can read them (and the upper line may still be obscured
> by the vehicle in front of you -- so again the odds are that you will see
> the lower "PED" first, then see the upper "XING").

I wonder whether there is any objective evidence for the usefulness of text
written on the road surface, as opposed to road markings (the old-fashioned
zebra crossing, stripes) and/or road signs.

In Melbourne, at least in the areas I frequent, we don't have many examples
of text written on the road surface myself. But when I do see them, I find
them more distracting than helpful.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.