just started

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 23:55:53 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM,  <metal.suomi at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) if I wish to install extra libraries, in particularly SciPy, what's best way of doing it? From command line I see the following commands: pip3 and pip3.5. I guess pip3.5 is for python3.5 ? Can I use pip3 and pip3.5 interchangeably, or pip3 will only install things for python3, and not 3.5?
>
> Are all these command equivalent?
>
> pip3 install --user numpy scipy matplotlib
> pip3.5 install --user numpy scipy matplotlib
>
> python3.5 -m pip install numpy scipy matplotlib

In theory, "pip3" will install into the default "python3", whichever
that is. However, in practice, it's entirely possible that it installs
into a very different Python from the one you're expecting. The most
reliable form is the latter; whatever command you use to start Python,
add "-m pip" to it, and you know you're talking to that same
installation.

ChrisA