just started

metal.suomi at gmail.com metal.suomi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 23:29:24 EST 2016

Hi everybody, I have just installed python 3.5.2 (downloaded from https://www.python.org/) on my mac (El Capitan).

1) I see from command line that older version of python are already available on my machine (python, python2.6, python2.7, python3, python3.5). I guess some might have been installed as part of Xcode (?) or via macport (? despite I never explicitly asked for python).

2) if I wish to install extra libraries, in particularly SciPy, what's best way of doing it? From command line I see the following commands: pip3 and pip3.5. I guess pip3.5 is for python3.5 ? Can I use pip3 and pip3.5 interchangeably, or pip3 will only install things for python3, and not 3.5?

Are all these command equivalent?

pip3 install --user numpy scipy matplotlib
pip3.5 install --user numpy scipy matplotlib

python3.5 -m pip install numpy scipy matplotlib

3) I also see this command to install it from macport, although not sure it will be ok given I didn't install python3.5 via macport but from downaloaded package?

sudo port install py35-numpy py35-scipy py35-matplotlib py35-ipython +notebook py35-pandas py35-sympy py35-nose

Thanks! I'm going through a very confused start, with too many version and too many commands to guess the right way of doing.