python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:01:10 EST 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Anton Mamaenko <amamaenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow... this thread gets to finally become a holy war.

It's not like this particular holy war is new, either. I'm sure it was
beaten to death in the days before Windows was a thing. As I indicated
in an earlier note, VMS and Unix did command line parsing (well,
globbing at least) differently. There were holy wars about that on
Usenet before many here were born, before many more were out of grade
school. Add to that the holy wars between Apollo and Sun Microsystems
(network topology (Token Ring v. Ethernet), as I recall, probably
remote procedure calls and networked file systems as well). I remember
being at one meeting where the Apollo and Sun gangs were going at it
hammer-and-tong, in person, not with the anonymity of the Internet to
obscure their views of each other. I can't now remember if that was
about RPC or networked file systems. Those were the good old days. :-)

Some things are better just left alone. File globbing is probably one
of those things. There's no right answer, and the people in the two
camps will never come to a compromise.

Skip