python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 6 21:58:17 EST 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 12:25 am, BartC wrote:

> Or someone from Britain visiting the USA and saying OMG, everyone's got
> a gun! Suppose someone runs amok and shoots everybody!

Fun fact: there's a school shooting in the US about once a week.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/school-shootings-since-newtown_n_5480209

The Washington Post does an analysis where they give all sorts of excuses
why shootings on school grounds shouldn't be counted as school shootings.
Here are some of the things that they don't think count as school
shootings:

- an adult couple shooting a cat on school grounds, who told police that
they would have shot children if it had been "god's will";

- a gun that "went off" in a kindergarten student's backpack;

- suicides;

- gang-related shootings;

- accidental discharges;

etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/06/29/has-there-been-one-school-shooting-per-week-since-sandy-hook/

In other words, if you ignore 90% of school shootings, you can dismiss
concerns of school shootings as a lie.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.