I am new to python. I have a few questions coming from an armature!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 12:25:47 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Sickfit92 <pe.fun18 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. How long did it take you guys to master the language or, let me put it this way to completely get the hang and start writing code?

Python wasn't my first language, so it was a lot easier for me to
learn one more language than to learn programming from scratch.
Basically, I picked up some document on the syntax (don't remember
what - probably the official tutorial) and then started messing around
with it, doing what I needed to do (which in this case was embedding
it in a C++ program, which brought its own set of problems due to our
non-standard toolchain).

Now, how long did it take me to learn how to write Pythonic code?
Don't know, and I'm still learning :)

> 2. What made you want to learn python?

I needed a language to embed in a program I was building. As it turned
out, Python couldn't be made secure, so we ended up not going there,
but it was still worth learning.

Alternatively: The first time I met Python was in the late 1990s, on
OS/2, and nothing beyond curiosity made me want to learn it. So I
didn't. I toyed with it briefly, then went back to working in REXX.

> 3. Was it difficult to learn the language?

There is a strong family resemblance about [programming languages],
and if you have all the details of a thousand at your finger ends, it
is odd if you can't unravel the thousand and first.
-- Sherlock Holmes, explaining what it means to be a "consulting detective"

Languages come in strong families, and even across families,
resemblances can be seen. When you are already familiar with several
dozen, you can learn one more language fairly easily. Python has
familial similarities with quite a few languages I know, so it wasn't
hard.

> 4. Have you been able to get a job out of your new skill?

Yes, I have, and not counting the fact that I learned it at a previous
job. There are plenty of Python jobs around; if you live in a
good-sized US city, chances are pretty good that you can find work
building web sites in Django, or messing around with big data in
Pandas, or something. And even if your job isn't specifically Python,
knowing a "glue language" makes you more useful.

> Thank you guys! I'm pretty much Obsessed with python!

So are most of us, I think, although I'm more "obsessed with
computers, using Python". :)

ChrisA