What's the best way to minimize the need of run time checks?

Lawrence D’Oliveiro lawrencedo99 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 04:10:20 EDT 2016

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 8:33:41 AM UTC+12, Juan Pablo Romero Méndez wrote:

> I've been trying to find (without success so far) an example of a situation
> where the dynamic features of a language like Python provides a clear
> advantage over languages with more than one type.

I have used, and continue to use, both static and dynamic languages.

With static languages, once a piece of code compiles without errors, you have a slightly higher level of confidence in its correctness than with a dynamic language.

On the other hand, a dynamic language allows me to be much more productive, because I have to write less code to begin with.

The closest I can offer for an apples-to-apples comparison is PyCairo <https://github.com/ldo/pycairo> versus Qahirah <https://github.com/ldo/qahirah>. Both are Python bindings for the Cairo graphics library; the former is written in C as a Python extension module, the latter is done in pure Python using ctypes.

I didn’t write the former; I merely tried to rescue it from abandonment to see if I could fill in a few more missing features. And what I found was, it would be quicker to start again from scratch than to continue working on it.