Call for Assistance

Jussi Piitulainen jussi.piitulainen at helsinki.fi
Tue Aug 9 12:32:30 EDT 2016

Reto Brunner <brunnre8 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 16:59 Lutz Horn <lutz.horn at posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 08/09/2016 um 03:52 AM schrieb Charles Ross:
>> > The book is being hosted at https://github.com/chivalry/meta-python
>>
>> CC-BY-NC-SA is not a license for free (as in speech) content. Is that
>> what you want?
>
> What on earth isn't "free" enough about
>
> You are free to:
> Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
>
> Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
>
> The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the
> license terms.
>
> It is even a viral (copy left) licence, so even a fsf member should be
> happy

The FSF does not consider non-commercial licenses free. Check their
entries on licensing and philosophy at http://www.fsf.org/.

Licensing / Licenses -> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses (ends up
at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html, contains an entry on
CC-NC at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CC-BY-NC)

Philosophy / The Free Software Definition ->
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Philosophy / Selling Free Software ->
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

If Charles Ross gets significant contributions from others under the NC
license, I think even he would be unable to sell copies or use the book
in paid courses, unless he gets other contributors to assign their
copyrights to him so that he is not bound by the license himself. Is
that what he wants? Is that what other contributors want? Why?