Using valid emails

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 14:38:27 EDT 2016

On 08/01/2016 10:32 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 14:01:26 -0600
> Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So I have to examine every address I reply to or deal with the
>>> bounce message later.  Way to move your spam problem to someone
>>> else.
>>
>> I've never had this problem.  I use the mailing list side of things
>> and I reply to the list and I don't have bounce issues.  Besides
>
> Fine for you.  I actually prefer to have people explicitly reply to me
> (and the list) because then it winds up in my INBOX instead of the
> Python list folder.  If I am busy I might skim over the Python folder
> but I always read my INBOX.  The mail will stand out better.

That's not something I would ever want, nor I suspect people who are
participating in a lot of e-mail lists. To each his own.

But more importantly, this just isn't how Usenet works.  You may be
using the e-mail gateway, but not everyone is. People coming from Usenet
are always going to be replying to the list in general, because as I
said before Usenet doesn't care about valid email addresses.  You can
complain all you want, but you're unlikely to have replies going to your
email inbox *and* the list folks reply from Usenet.  I myself will
almost never reply intentionally to the person and also the list.
Duplicated emails just annoy people. And they screw up Gmail's filters
on my own account.  Of course that's mainly because Gmail is pretty
stupid when it comes to dealing with mailing lists and they refuse to
fix it.