Using valid emails

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Mon Aug 1 12:32:19 EDT 2016

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 14:01:26 -0600
Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So I have to examine every address I reply to or deal with the
> > bounce message later.  Way to move your spam problem to someone
> > else.
>
> I've never had this problem.  I use the mailing list side of things
> and I reply to the list and I don't have bounce issues.  Besides

Fine for you.  I actually prefer to have people explicitly reply to me
(and the list) because then it winds up in my INBOX instead of the
Python list folder.  If I am busy I might skim over the Python folder
but I always read my INBOX.  The mail will stand out better.

If I preferred everything in my Python folder I would just change the
filter order.  The idea is that as much as possible everyone should be
able to get everything that they want.

> that, he's not using email; he's using usenet which has never
> required a valid email address, real or fake.  To demand he use a
> real email address is as silly as that guy that lambasts people on
> this list for not using real names.

That's really not the same thing at all.  In fact, I don't even care if
the address even works, as long as it doesn't bounce.  If I didn't want
to get replies I would use NULL at Vex.Net which gets silently dropped and
the address suggests that it will not be delivered.

But I absolutely don't care if someone uses a fake name.  I agree that
such a restriction would be silly not to mention totally unenforceable.

> That said, I wish he'd stop posting his arguments here on this list as
> he clearly doesn't use Python for anything, and hasn't used Python for
> any real amount of coding.  He has no vested interest in Python so why
> should his opinions matter to us?

Agreed.  That's why I have stopped talking to and listening to him.

> As for spam, I hardly think spambots trolling Usenet are as effective
> these days as they once were.  And most people's anti-spam filters are
> pretty good.  Besides that, those of us posting to the mailing list
> side of things get our real email addresses copied out into Usenet
> and I haven't noticed any change in spam levels.

Ditto.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net