Why not allow empty code blocks?

bart4858 at gmail.com bart4858 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:55:02 EDT 2016

On Monday, 1 August 2016 01:22:02 UTC+1, Chris Angelico  wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM,  <bart4858 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > (128MB or 128KB? In the 1980s we were all running in 64KB to 640KB of memory. 128MB might be what a well-endowed mainframe might have had!)
>
> Yes, and we didn't have Python then. When I had a computer with 640KB
> of memory, my options were (1) BASIC or (2) 8086 assembly language,
> using DEBUG.EXE and its mini-assembler. Later on (much much later), I
> added C to the available languages, but it was tedious and annoying,
> because one tiny change meant minutes of compilation.

This wasn't my experience. I used my own tools and designed them to always be quick enough in use that compilation speed was never really an issue. Not even on 8-bit machines.

I was also happily running my interpreters within 640KB (less than that too depending on customers' machines).

So that 128MB limit, or *two hundred* times as much memory, was a hardly a limitation!

--
Bartc