How much sanity checking is required for function inputs?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 23:58:09 EDT 2016

On 04/23/2016 09:41 PM, Christopher Reimer wrote:
> I never wanted to learn Java in the first place. My community college
> couldn't afford to renew the Microsoft site license, which local
> employers required to learn C/C++ in MS Visual Studio, and all flavors
> of Java got taught for the programming classes instead. I wanted to
> learn C/C++. I even wanted to learn assembly language, but I was the
> only student who showed up for the class and it got cancelled.
>
> Of course, it probably doesn't help that I got a job in help desk
> support after I graduated with A.S. degree in Java and never programmed
> professionally. Thinking like a programmer helped me resolved many IT
> problems over the last 12 years. My current job in computer security
> requires tinkering with PowerShell scripts as Python is strictly
> prohibited in this Windows shop. I have made Python my main programming
> language at home.

I don't mean to imply that I'm criticizing you for your Java experience!
 I am critical of Java, though.

I'm very glad you've discovered Python and I hope you'll continue to
have fun with it.  I hope you'll take the advice offered by the others
on this thread in stride and hopefully we'll all learn and benefit.

I completely agree with you that learning to think like a programmer is
so helpful in solving all kinds of problems, especially in IT!