Moderation and slight change of (de facto) policy

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Apr 19 05:16:53 EDT 2016

On 19/04/2016 10:03, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> On 2016-04-17, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 17/04/2016 18:21, Wildman via Python-list wrote:
>>> On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:57:51 +0100, Tim Golden wrote:
>>
>> [... snip my explanation of new moderation for non-subscribers ...]
>>
>>> How will this change affect posts to comp.lang.python?
>>
>> Not at all, in the sense that the moderation doesn't apply to
>> comp.lang.python, except insofar as posts which are sent to the list and
>> which we reject obviously won't make it to comp.lang.python either.
>
> But from what you described, it sounds like all Usenet posts will
> now be prevented from reaching the list. If so you should probably
> consider rmgrouping comp.lang.python or at least abandoning the
> idea of it being linked to the mailing list.
>
> (I've no idea of course if you will even see this message!)

Well something in my explanation obviously wasn't clear, because that's
certainly not the case. I'm not even sure which bit gave you that
impression (please feel free to quote it back at me!).

The Usenet gateway operates distinctly from the Mailman moderation -- in
fact we have to jump through a hoop or two if we *do* want to moderate
someone who usually posts via Usenet.

TJG