Moderation and slight change of (de facto) policy

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Apr 18 10:05:18 EDT 2016

On Apr 17, 2016, at 06:08 PM, Matt Ruffalo wrote:

>That seems like a reasonable approach, though I think there *really*
>needs to be an option along the lines of "subscribed to the list for the
>purposes of moderation, but not receiving list messages via email".

We can do this effectively in Mailman 2.1 by adding the non-member to
accept_these_nonmembers, and that's fairly easy to do from the admin page.
Mailman 3 will make this more explicit by actually assigning a role of
"nonmember" to the person, so as to be able to more granularly control their
posting privileges.  While we're starting to roll out some Mailman 3 lists, it
will probably be a while before python-list is converted.

Alternatively, individuals can subscribe to a mailing list and then disable
delivery to their address.  This essentially accomplishes the same thing,
although for some lists, posts start out moderated until the person builds
some positive reputation.  Then the admin can turn off their moderation bit
and their posts will go straight through.

Cheers,
-Barry