Is threading better on Usenet or gmane?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Apr 11 11:58:28 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-11, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

I just finished checking a very recent thread containing 67 articles
by pointing slrn at news.panix.com for the Usenet version and at
news.gmane.com for the mailing-list version.

Both servers appeared to show the same set of 67 articles (that alone
is pretty good) though the tree structures were rather different.

Then I checked each article to see if its parent article was availble.

On the Usenet side, 35 of 67 articles had unavailable parent articles,
which is pretty bad compared to non-gatewayed groups.

On the mailing-list side 15 of 67 had unavailable parent articles,
which is a bit shabby by general usenet standards, but probably pretty
decent for gatewayed groups.

How representative that thread was is left as an exercise for the
reader.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! If Robert Di Niro
                                  at               assassinates Walter Slezak,