Is threading better on Usenet or gmane?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Apr 11 10:55:46 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-11, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> I've already outlined under what circumstances threading is likely
> to be broken (before the recent changes):
>
>| For users reading by the mailing list, Usenet users' replies to
>| Mailing List users will be broken (but their replies to each other
>| will be fine). For users reading by Usenet, Mailing List users'
>| replies to each other will be broken (though all replies made via
>| Usenet or to Usenet users will be fine).
>
> gmane is essentially the same as reading it by email as far as this
> issue is concerned.
>
> What the new change (see Mark Sapiro's recent posts on this topic)
> should fix is the first half of that. It doesn't necessarily do anything
> about the second half:

OK. So recent fix should fix all gateway-related thread breakage for
mailing-list readers (which includes gmane).  I had read most of the
thread on that change, but was still confused about exactly what was
getting fixed.

Thanks for clarifying it.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'll eat ANYTHING
                                  at               that's BRIGHT BLUE!!