Promoting Python

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Apr 6 13:55:20 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 10:40:36 AM UTC-4, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 06/04/2016 15:34, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> > No, please, let's not ask BartC to list these features.  We've already
> > well established Bart's point of view, let's not revisit this debate.
> > He prefers very different languages than Python.  We get it.  We don't
> > have to try to convince him to like Python, it's been tried, it doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > --Ned.
> >

> So why isn't he politely told to shove off as he's not welcome on this
> Python list?

Because there's no purity test for membership here.  You can dislike Python,
and still participate. Bart is not unwelcome.

I did take issue with his mischaracterization of Python's terminology, and
it worked out fine.

It took us a while to understand where Bart was coming from, but now we
understand, and we don't have to go around in circles.

> My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask
> what you can do for our language.

You can be welcoming and understanding.

--Ned.