Python program

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 17:03:13 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 5:14 AM, Pythonnoob via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> I have written a program in Python track the number of visits customers make to our business based upon their account numbers. Right now we are doing this via paper. We have 7 computers. Each with a different user. We do have a network and server. I know this program will run on my computer and I can enter the information and update it from my computer. I want all of our associates to have the program on their computer and be able to update it in real time. So at the end of the day, week, month, etc..... the visits can be calculated. I know that I can install Python on each of the computers, but I know this would be local to their computer. I also know I could have our IT guy install the program on the server as well. But in order for the stats to be updated by all associates in real time , would I have to build a database and then get that installed on the server ?

Hi! Welcome to the list. (I'd like to be able to greet you by name,
but I don't think "Noob" is a name. Are you Todd? Or perhaps I can
call you Christine, after CookingForNoobs?)

It might not be *necessary* to do it that way, but I would certainly
recommend it. These days, the easiest way to arrange these sorts of
things would be a web server that manages everything, and have your
associates point their web browsers to it. It's a little bit of work
to set up, but everyone knows how to use a web browser these days, and
they don't need to install Python.

Have you any experience with building web sites in Python? If not,
there are lots of tutorials around. Start with Python 3 and Flask, and
put together an HTML form to accept information from one of your
associates, with another function to process the responses. Use a
PostgreSQL database to store the information, and either psycopg2 or
SQLAlchemy to access that from Python.

There are other ways to do things, but this is how I'd recommend it.

That's a very VERY basic roadmap; it's meant to be enough for you to
recognize which parts you don't know yet. From there, you can
hopefully dig into the project a bit, and add some stats and stuff
like that. Should be fun!

ChrisA