Issue with opening a python file

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Apr 1 01:41:14 EDT 2016

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 02:56 pm, Daniel Ding wrote:

> Hello, I'm relatively new to python.
> Recently I have been receiving errors every time I attempt to open python
> files. When try open them, it sends me directly to the 'Modify Setup'
> window. Clicking on repair or modify does not fix the problem, it simply
> goes through the repair or modify process and then closes, whilst the
> problem still persists.  Is there any possible fix for this?

Depends. What has changed? Have you upgrade the OS? (Windows 8 apparently
tends to auto-update to Windows 10 without warning.) Installed a new
version of Python which doesn't work?

What happens if you try to launch the Python application directly, without a
file? Open a shell (command.exe or cmd.com or whatever Windows calls it)
and try entering "python" or "python3". What happens?

If you get an error message, try to copy and paste the complete error
message into your reply. Otherwise try to type out the actual error
message.

Don't bother taking a screen-shot unless the message is extremely large:
firstly, this mailing list and newsgroup will delete attachments, so you
would have to post it to imgur or similar, and secondly, a screen-shot is
of no use to anyone using a screen reader.

--
Steven