Threading is foobared?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 1 00:17:23 EDT 2016

Random832 wrote:

> One additional thing that would be nice and would solve most of the
> duplicate problem with hypothetically including the rewritten
> Message-IDs in outgoing emails, would be to detect crossposts to
> multiple lists in the same Mailman instance, and to send them to Usenet
> (and to subscribers) as a single message, with appropriate headers for a
> crosspost.

This is difficult to do for various reasons. The main issue is gating to
news is asynchronously done by a separate process. Even if the process
could reliably determine that another gatewayed list in the installation
was a recipient of this post which it could only do by examining
explicit addressees and the other list might be a Bcc:, we'd still have
to arbitrate somehow which post gets gatewayed to the multiple news
groups and which ones get dropped. Although I suppose we could send each
one for all the news groups and let the news server figure it out.

Anyway, I don't plan to try this.