Failed to upgrade pip in fresh 2.7 install

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 00:23:29 EDT 2015

On 9/26/15, Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 1:13 PM,  <paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> After a fresh install of Python 2.7 32-bit and 64-bit, upgrading pip
>> using pip fails. Am I doing this incorrectly? Any suggestions?
>
> This is a limitation of Windows: you can't replace the executable that
> you're currently running.

A memory-mapped file can be renamed, so replacing the executable is
doable. The new name has to be on the same volume. That's doable. The
problem is that Windows doesn't allow deleting the file. Maybe pip
could spawn a clean-up script to which it pipes the list of renamed
files. The script waits for pip to exit and then tries to remove the
files.