Lightwight socket IO wrapper

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Tue Sep 22 03:59:07 EDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-21, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

>>> Not sure what you mean there. Unless you can absolutely guarantee that
>>> you didn't read too much, or can absolutely guarantee that your
>>> buffering function will be the ONLY way anything reads from the
>>> socket, buffering is a problem.
>>
>> Only one reader can read a socket safely at any given time so mutual
>> exclusion is needed.
>>
>> If you read "too much," the excess can be put in the application's read
>> buffer where it is available for whoever wants to process the next
>> message.
>
> Oops, premature send - sorry! Trying again.
>
> Which works only if you have a single concept of "application's read
> buffer". That means that you have only one place that can ever read
> data. Imagine a protocol that mainly consists of lines of text
> terminated by CRLF, but allows binary data to be transmitted by
> sending "DATA N\r\n" followed by N arbitrary bytes. The simplest and
> most obvious way to handle the base protocol is to buffer your reads
> as much as possible, but that means potentially reading the beginning
> of the data stream along with its header. You therefore cannot use the
> basic read() method to read that data - you have to use something from
> your line-based wrapper, even though you are decidedly NOT using a
> line-based protocol at that point.
>
> That's what I mean by guaranteeing that your buffering function is the
> only way data gets read from the socket. Either that, or you need an
> underlying facility for un-reading a bunch of data - de-buffering and
> making it readable again.

The way it seems to me, reading a TCP socket always ends up as:

- keep an application buffer
- do one socket read and append to the buffer
- consume 0--more complete "entries" from the beginning
  of the buffer; keep the incomplete one which may exist
  at the end
  has arrived

So the buffer is a circular buffer of octets, which you chop up
by parsing it so you can see it as a circular buffer of complete and
incomplete entries or messages.

At that level, yes, the line-oriented data and the binary data would
coexist in the same application buffer.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .     .