Lightwight socket IO wrapper

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 04:50:08 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>>> You can read a full buffer even if you have a variable-length length
>>> encoding.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean there. Unless you can absolutely guarantee that
>> you didn't read too much, or can absolutely guarantee that your
>> buffering function will be the ONLY way anything reads from the
>> socket, buffering is a problem.
>
> Only one reader can read a socket safely at any given time so mutual
> exclusion is needed.
>
> If you read "too much," the excess can be put in the application's read
> buffer where it is available for whoever wants to process the next
> message.

Oops, premature send - sorry! Trying again.

Which works only if you have a single concept of "application's read
buffer". That means that you have only one place that can ever read
data. Imagine a protocol that mainly consists of lines of text
terminated by CRLF, but allows binary data to be transmitted by
sending "DATA N\r\n" followed by N arbitrary bytes. The simplest and
most obvious way to handle the base protocol is to buffer your reads
as much as possible, but that means potentially reading the beginning
of the data stream along with its header. You therefore cannot use the
basic read() method to read that data - you have to use something from
your line-based wrapper, even though you are decidedly NOT using a
line-based protocol at that point.

That's what I mean by guaranteeing that your buffering function is the
only way data gets read from the socket. Either that, or you need an
underlying facility for un-reading a bunch of data - de-buffering and
making it readable again.

ChrisA