problem building python 3.5 extensions for windows

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 09:27:24 EDT 2015

On 21/09/2015 13:55, Robin Becker wrote:
> I have installed VS2015; this is the full version and was a great deal
> of trouble to install. First time out it started whining and I had to
> 'repair' it.
>
> Anyhow after the 'repair' it said all was OK and no complaints.
>
> However, when I try to use it I don't see options for starting C++
> projects, but instead only C#.
>
> I get an error like this trying to build for x86 or amd64
>
>           | building 'reportlab.lib._rl_accel' extension
> Stderr:  | error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

The most reported problem trying to build anything on Windows that is
Python related.

> There is a folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 14.0\VC", but it doesn't contain any batch scripts. Document
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x4d2c09s.aspx claims to be
> about VS2015, but has as example
>
> cd "\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC"
>
> which is presumably not for VS2015.

Correct, the folder you referenced first should contain the batch file.

> Any ideas how to get this to work? Should I try a full reinstall of
> VS2015? I can start the VS2015 Developer command prompt, but it doesn't
> then know about the "cl" command.

I'd be inclined to go for the reinstall, painful as that might be.  I've
tried finding the batch file as a separate download but there's just too
many hits about "download Visual Studio".

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence