A photo/image/video sharing app in Python

Cai Gengyang gengyangcai at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 08:53:34 EDT 2015

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 7:38:21 PM UTC+8, Great Avenger Singh wrote:
> On Monday, 21 September 2015 15:08:53 UTC+5:30, Cai Gengyang  wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > So, I want to use Python to design a photo/image/video sharing app that i can >test on users.
>
> One Example is DropBox  doing this at very large  extent. ;)
>

> > I have Python 2.7.10, 3.3.2 and 3.3.4 downloaded and am using a Mac OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2 laptop and having gone through the Python course on CodeAcademy a while ago (though I probably forgot most of it my now)
> >
> > How / where do i start ? Any suggestions / resources / recommendations >appreciated.
>
> As you have not mentioned how you want your application to be,
> One way is using Dropbox/Google-drive Python API so user can get space somewhere online and generate Public Link to Share file.
>
> Or If User want to share it locally with other computers using LAN/Bluetooth?WI-FI,
>
> If you want to make it use with Android or IOS Kivy is there for you.(I am fantasized with Kivy!)
>
> Or First you have to decide what kind of Architecture you want with your application or features. I guess my answer is vague so your question was ;)

Ok, so basically these are the features I want the app to have :

1) A system where users can upload photos/images/videos of their loved ones and family onto the web-based app (It's going to be web-based website)
2) A system where where the users can then edit these photos/images/videos into short , funny cartoons/videos
3) A system where users can create an account with username/password/log in information
4) A system where users can then share and publish these pictures on the website itself using their account and also link and upload onto other traditional social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Google+ accounts and also onto their other handheld devices like IPhone , Apple Devices, Samsung handphones etc

As for the architecture itself , it will probably be similar to wedpics (https://www.wedpics.com/) but better designed with gorgeous and pristine features and a system where users can edit their pictures/photos/videos into cartoons with different themes with their faces on it (funny, natural, science) --- i.e. imagine you are able to make a cartoon of your bride , family members and friends at your wedding ceremony into a funny cartoon with your faces imprinted on cartoon characters , the have these cartoons published on the website and also link with other social networks where you can publish these cartoons on them as well ....

My plan is to build this and get some users to test the product by posting the product online on sites like these, hacker news, word of mouth and also invite strangers on Facebook, Googles+ and Twitter to test this prototype and continuously iterate the product according to user feedback. Hope that is detailed enough to give you an idea of how it roughly would look like !

I currently have minimal experience with programming , and have only done a course on Python on CodeAcademy(That's about it) , so I am posting here to ask for help --- where is the best place to start and resources?

Thanks a lot , appreciate it !

Cai Gengyang