Python 2.7 Configuration

Ward Kingkade ward_kingkade at msn.com
Sun Sep 20 13:13:22 EDT 2015

Hello All,

I'm new to Python.  I downloaded the 64-bit build of Python 2.7.10 from
www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2710.  I run Windows 7 Pro on a Dell
PC.

I find that the installation package creates a folder called "Python 2.7" in
my Start menu, with both a command prompt and IDLE GUI options.

I hold my scripts in another directory that is parallel to but not under the
one where Python 2.7 resides, so I set the Environment Variable PYTHONPATH
to include the directory where my scripts reside.  Unfortunately, I am
unable to reach them in either the IDLE GUI or the "Python command line" in
that folder in my start menu.  The only way I have managed to run Python
scripts is to open an ordinary command prompt from Accessories, navigate to
the directory with the scripts, and run python from the command prompt in
that directory.

Can anyone let me know what I'm not doing that I should be doing to run
Python and my scripts from the parallel directory under the GUI or the
command line from the start menu folder ?

Thanks.

Ward Kingkade

1201 Belle View Boulevard

Apartment B1