Packaging and deployment of standalone Python applications?

Kristian Rink kawazu428 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:29:23 EDT 2015

Am 15.09.2015 um 08:59 schrieb paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com:

> https://docs.python.org/3/library/venv.html?highlight=venv#module-venv

Thanks, this already is pretty close to what I need. Playing with this
and virtualenv, I figured out that this way it's pretty easily possible
to have isolated Python environments _locally_. However I failed to
package one of these environments and move it to, say, from my Ubuntu
development host to a remote Debian server, I end up with errors like
these while trying to run the Python off the environment on that host:

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found

I bundled all the stuff in the virtualenv and also made sure to
dereference the symlinks in there. Are Python binaries so closely tied
to a particular Linux environment / distribution that what I am about to
do is impossible? Is there a "generic" Python for Linux binary that
works on all distributions, as things are for Java?

TIA and all the best,
Kristian