Packaging and deployment of standalone Python applications?

paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 02:59:15 EDT 2015

This might be helpful.

https://docs.python.org/3/distributing/index.html

See also

https://docs.python.org/3/library/venv.html?highlight=venv#module-venv
Folks;

coming from a server-sided Java background, I'm recently exploring
frameworks such as cherrypy or webpy for building RESTful services, which
is quite a breeze and a pretty pleasant experience; however one thing so
far bugs me: Using Java tooling and libraries such as DropWizard, it is
pretty straightforward to build an "all-inclusive" application containing
(a) all code of my own, (b) all required dependencies, (c) all other
resources and, if required, even (d) a Java virtual machine in one large
.zip file which can easily be copied to a clean Linux VM, unzipped and
started there.

Are there ways of doing so using Python, too? I'd like to set up a project
structure / working environment that includes all Python 3rd party
libraries, my own code and maybe even a "standard" Python runtime for 64bit
Linux systems (to not depend too much on what version a certain Linux
distribution actually ships) and focus on doing deployment to various
machines at best by simply copying these packages around.

Any pointers, ideas, inspirations on that greatly appreciated - even in
total different ways if what I am about to do is completely off anyone
would do it in a Python environment. ;)

TIA and all the best,
Kristian