Hi am new to python

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 9 07:41:33 EDT 2015

On Tue, 08 Sep 2015 17:44:26 -0500, Nassim Gannoun wrote:

> Hi I'm also new to Python but would like to reply.
> Like others have stated there is a built in function (sum) that can give
> the sum of the elements of a list, but if what you are trying to do is
> learn how to use the while command here is some code that will work.
> Your question:
> My question is in a while loop; how do l sum all the numbers in the
> given list (list_a)?
>
> list_a = [8, 5, 2, 4]
> sum_a = 0 # for storing the sum of list_a i = 0 # for looping through
> the list_a# Use a while loop to sum all numbers in list_a# If you store
> the sums into sum_a print(sum_a) # should print 19 My answer:
> list_a = [8, 5, 2, 4]
>

> sum_a = 0 i = 0 while i < (len(list_a)):
>         sum_a += list_a[i]
>         i += 1
>

> print(sum_a)

This is OK a a learning excise but it is just about the worst way to
achieve the result in python.

It should be considered as an example of how NOT to perform the task.

I do hope this is NOT a homework question set by a teacher as it would
get the student into bad habits.

--
It's spelled Linux, but it's pronounced `Not Windows'
It's spelled Windows, but it's pronounced `Aieeeeeeee!'

   -- Shannon Hendrix