passing double quotes in subprocess

loial jldunn2000 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 07:03:46 EDT 2015

I need to execute an external shell script via subprocess on Linux.

One of the parameters needs to be passed inside double quotes

But the double quotes do not appear to be passed to the script

I am using :

myscript = '/home/john/myscript'
commandline = myscript + ' ' + '\"Hello\"'

process = subprocess.Popen(commandline, shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
output,err = process.communicate()

if I make the call from another shell script and escape the double quotes it works fine, but not when I use python and subprocess.

I have googled this but cannot find a solution...is there one?