Wheels For ...

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Sep 6 16:06:05 EDT 2015

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 1:33:58 PM UTC-4, Sven R. Kunze wrote:

> Why do developers need to build their distribution themselves?

> With this post, I would like raise awareness of the people in charge of
> the Python infrastructure.

Sven, you ask a question, and then say you are trying to raise awareness.
Are you making a proposal?  It sounds like you might be implying that it
would be better if some central infrastructure group could make all the
distributions?

As a developer of a Python package, I don't see how this would be better.
The developer would still have to get their software into some kind of
uniform configuration, so the central authority could package it.  You've
moved the problem from, "everyone has to make wheels" to "everyone has to
make a tree that's structured properly."  But if we can do the second
thing, the first thing is really easy.

Maybe I've misunderstood?

--Ned.