Need Help w. PIP!

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 18:48:14 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Steve Burrus <steveburrus28 at gmail.com> wrote:
> so what is my hopefully sinple solution anyway? i do n't see myself anytime
> soon getting off of Build 10074 of Win 10.

Script wrappers such as pip.exe are simple versions of the py launcher
that execute an embedded script. For example, here's the script
embedded in pip.exe on my system:

    #!"C:\Program Files\Python34\python.exe"
    # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
    import re
    import sys
    from pip import main
    if __name__ == '__main__':
        sys.argv[0] = re.sub(r'(-script\.pyw|\.exe)?$', '', sys.argv[0])
        sys.exit(main())

So, as with py.exe, the child python.exe process has to be assigned to
a job object. That won't work as long as you're using build 10074 of
Windows 10. But you can still run pip using `python -m pip`.

Also, since the py launcher doesn't work on your system, you'll have
to ensure that scripts are associated with python.exe / pythonw.exe
instead of py.exe / pyw.exe. If you installed for all users you can do
that in an elevated command prompt (cmd.exe) using the ftype command:

    ftype Python.File="C:\Python34\python.exe" "%1" %*
    ftype Python.NoConFile="C:\Python34\pythonw.exe" "%1" %*