python.exe is not a valid win32 executable

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 13:39:34 EDT 2015

On 29/10/2015 17:28, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 29/10/2015 16:14, Steffen Herzfeldt wrote:
>> I just wanted to let you know that your program just doesn't work on
>> WinXP.
>> I guess you just think "Linux is better anyway" to which i agree until
>> it comes to games requiring directx, but that doesn't change the fact
>> that the installer was labeled as working on win32 systems.
>
> Others have replied that the installer has a fix for the next release
> which will highlight this sooner. I would point out that we have
> gradually dropped support for *several* win32-based systems over the
> last few years, more or less following Microsoft's own deprecation
> regime. Win9x was dropped in 2.6; 2000 was dropped in 3.3.

Specifically from
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#microsoft-windows, the first
three paragraphs.

<quote>
  Microsoft has established a policy called product support lifecycle
[1] . Each product's lifecycle has a mainstream support phase, where the
product is generally commercially available, and an extended support
phase, where paid support is still available, and certain bug fixes are
released (in particular security fixes).

CPython's Windows support now follows this lifecycle. A new feature
release X.Y.0 will support all Windows releases whose extended support
phase is not yet expired. Subsequent bug fix releases will support the
same Windows releases as the original feature release (even if the
extended support phase has ended).

Because of this policy, no further Windows releases need to be listed in
this PEP.
</quote>

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence