Is there a Windows Python SIG?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 04:09:50 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Christopher Reimer
<christopher_reimer at icloud.com> wrote:

>> Awesome! Contributors are always welcome.
>

> On a YouTube video from PyCon 2015, I think someone mentioned the need for
> more people to look at Python on Windows. Does this mean that Python on
> Linux and/or Mac get more love than Python on Windows?

The ease of compiling CPython on Linux compared to Windows means the
bar for contributions involving C code is a lot higher on Windows. So
I suspect that, yes, Linux would see a lot more people dabbling in
development, testing patches, etc.

With Python-only patches, it shouldn't be too hard to fiddle around on
Windows, but I suspect that tinkerers generally prefer Linux anyway,
so there'll still be less patch testing on Windows.

So if you're willing to grab patches and test them out, yes, it's well
worth doing.

> I went looking at the bug database. A lot of the reports are way over my
> head, but some of the comments made for fascinating reading. I found one
> report of an installer error on Windows 10 Educational version. I wasn't
> aware that there was an educational version of Windows 10. My first thought
> of the bug was a bad download, which was the first comment someone posted in
> response. Being so vague in details, no one else will probably look at it
> again. This one looks doable.
>
> How many bugs do I have to poke and prod to put Python contributor on my
> resume?

One :) Any work on the bug tracker is a contribution. If you sign the
copyright agreement, submit a patch, and get it committed, then you'll
be a "contributor" in a fuller sense, but a simple post of "Confirmed
on Windows 7" is a contribution too (and doesn't require any sort of
compiler or anything).

ChrisA