Hiding code from intruders, a different slant on an old question

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Wed Oct 7 05:38:37 EDT 2015

I know questions similar to this are often asked but my reasons for
wanting to do this (and thus ways it can be done) are slightly different.

I have a number of little utility scripts (python and others) which I
use to automate the process of decrypting and displaying things like
files containing passwords.

The encryption I use is reasonably secure anyway but I'd like to hide
the programs/methods I use so that:-

1 - The encrypted files are not identifiable as encrypted data (the file
command just returns 'data' so they can't be identified by that).  If
there's a script in my ~/bin directory that relates directly to the
files it's obvious they're encrypted.

2 - The method used for encryption isn't obvious, again an obvious
script will show the program I have used.

I *could* write a C program which just exec()'s the required programs,
if they're done separately this would be fairly well hidden but I was
wondering if there's anything more obvious I can do that enables me to
do things easily in Python.

This is for protecting against any possible intruder who has gained
access to my system by breaking an ssh password or stealing my laptop
for example.  It's *not* for hiding code that I'm giving to others,
I'd be quite happy to give the code in question to people who might
want to use it.

--
Chris Green
·