python3.5 + reportlab + windows again

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Oct 6 11:14:38 EDT 2015

I can run all of the reportlab tests OK under ubuntu 14.04 amd65 with the latest
python 3.5 (built using configure make dance).

However, when I try to do the same with windows 7 x64 & VS2015 as the compiler I
am getting strange issues.

Basically at some point in the run python pops up a dialogue that says python
has stopped working and MS is searching for a solution :(

MS doesn't find a solution and then my only options are debug & stop. Debugging
reveals that the error appeared to happen somewhere in 'external code' called
from python, but I don't have any idea which of the possible extensions is at
fault. So far as I know I'm only using two extensions from inside reportlab and
pillow.

When tested separately, the two RL extensions appear to work OK, but I don't
know where pillow came from. I just used c:\python35\scripts\pip install pillow
and it automagically got downloaded as a wheel. I can at least import _imaging
etc etc so I assume the pillow 3.0.0 is working.

I guess I have to think about creating a debug build of python 3.5 and or one or
more extensions.

Does anyone know which flags I should be setting in the PCBUILD? I vaguely
remember /Od /Zi, but this is a new version of VS so perhaps I'm out of date.
--
Robin Becker