Footnotes in ReST

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Oct 3 10:22:19 EDT 2015

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 10:21 pm, Laura Creighton wrote:

> In a message of Sat, 03 Oct 2015 21:39:26 +1000, "Steven D'Aprano" writes:
>>I have a document written in Restructured Text format, and I use lots of
>>footnotes:
[...]
> You shouldn't have numbered them manually in the first place.
> Use '#' instead to get automatic numbered footnotes.

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#footnote-references

Thanks.

Especially useful is the ability to label footnotes so that they can be
auto-numbered while still being able to refer to them from multiple places:

    If [#note]_ is the first footnote reference, it will show up as
    "[1]".  We can refer to it again as [#note]_ and again see
    "[1]".  We can also refer to it as note_ (an ordinary internal
    hyperlink reference).

    .. [#note] This is the footnote labeled "note".

That's the problem I was trying to solve by manual numbering.

--
Steven