Help needed with compiling python

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 17:39:28 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> wrote:
> My system python was all-ready damaged: that is why I wanted to build
> myself.

Then you should try to repair the system Python install via the system
package manager.  It's not worth the hassle to try to replace it; it
almost certainly won't work for some strange corner case that won't
bite you until 3 months from now.  It's perfectly OK to have a second
Python install in /usr/local, even of the same version as the system
Python.

> It is an openSUSE system. I installed the readline with:
>     zypper install readline-devel
>
> The strange thing is that it does mot compile anymore now. I get:
> Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were not found:
>     _bsddb             _tkinter           bsddb185
>     dbm                dl                 gdbm
>     imageop            sunaudiodev
>     To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.

Before you installed readline-devel, readline would have been listed
there as well.  It's ok to have modules listed there if you don't need
those particular modules.  Most of those are actually deprecated, and
have been removed from Python 3.  Of those that remain, _tkinter
requires tcl-devel and tk-devel; dbm and gdbm require similarly named
development packages (I have no experience with using dbm/gdbm).

--
Zach