Help needed with compiling python

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Wed Nov 25 16:52:23 EST 2015

On Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 21:49 CET, Zachary Ware wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> wrote:
>> I wanted to install python myself. I started with 2.7.10. If that
>> works I also will install 3.5.0.
>>
>> I did:
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr
>> make
>> make altinstall
>>
>> I have:
>> /usr/bin/python2.7
>>
>> But when I execute this, I get: Could not find platform dependent
>> libraries <exec_prefix> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to
>> <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>] Python 2.7.10 (default, Nov 25 2015,
>> 20:58:29) [GCC 4.8.5] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits"
>> or "license" for more information. Traceback (most recent call
>> last): File "/etc/pythonstart", line 7, in <module> import readline
>> ImportError: No module named readline
>>
>> What do I need to do to get it working?
>
> First off, I strongly suggest not using --prefix=/usr.  Stick with
> --prefix=/usr/local (the default) to avoid overwriting the system
> Python, which may differ from a source build (and, in fact,
> overwriting your system Python may be what's causing some of your
> problems; those first two lines are worrying).

My system python was all-ready damaged: that is why I wanted to build
myself.

> Secondly, there are several optional modules that are not compiled
> unless particular libraries are found to link against, including
> readline. You'll need the readline development package (probably
> readline-dev or readline-devel, depending on your distribution). You
> can quickly pull in the dependencies for all optional modules by
> doing something like the following for an apt-based system: `apt-get
> build-dep python3`.

It is an openSUSE system. I installed the readline with:
    zypper install readline-devel

The strange thing is that it does mot compile anymore now. I get:
Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were not found:
    _bsddb             _tkinter           bsddb185
    dbm                dl                 gdbm
    imageop            sunaudiodev
    To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.

I have to look into that.

I still can install it, but get the same errors.

I think I need a bit more time to solve it.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer