Writing a Financial Services App in Python

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:25:08 EST 2015

On 11/19/2015 09:20 AM, Cai Gengyang wrote:
> Sure ... is this : https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python a good
> place to learn Python ?

Why not have a look first at the many tutorials, including the ones on
Python's web site?  You need to explore feasibility first before you go
too far. Python is not the only language out there. I happen to like it,
but there are other popular choices.  An experienced developer can pick
up and program in any language very quickly.

Also you need to know a lot more than just programming in Python.  You
will need to know the various web development technologies and languages.

I don't say this just to discourage you up front.  I say this from a lot
of sad experience.  Your goals are *very* ambitious.  I've seen fairly
straightforward web apps stretch out into years and many tens of
thousands of dollars with whole teams of programmers.  And it does not
appear you have any programming experience at all yet.

Forget about a web app for now.  Work on the pieces like the algorithms
needed for doing the analysis you require.  Do some simple programs that
only do console input and output.

> Are you wanting to contract with some programmers to create this
> application for you? ---- Eventually I will have to find programming
> co-founders and employees to create and iterate the product as user
> feedback streams in. But I will write the initial prototype myself
> because I plan to be the main programmer / founder , but yes ...
> eventually I will need 1 or even 2 co-founders and when the platform
> gains enough users, we will have to hire programmers and sales/
> business people. But this will be a tech-heavy company and all the
> main founders and employees should be excellent programmers. But for
> the moment, I plan to write the initial prototype myself ...

Sounds ambitious! Hope you have a business plan in mind from the start.