Writing a Financial Services App in Python

Cai Gengyang gengyangcai at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 06:59:53 EST 2015

>From YCombinator's new RFS, This is the problem I want to solve as it is a severe problem I face myself and something I need. I want to write this app in Python as I heard that Python is a great language that many programmers use ... How / where do I start ? The problem is detailed below :

FINANCIAL SERVICES

Saving money is hard and Americans are particularly bad at it. Because the personal savings rate has largely been falling since the early 80s, we don't have sufficient cushions to face economic shocks, weather unexpected unemployment, or even enjoy our retirements.
Its simply too hard to find good ways to save or to invest. Savings accounts only pay a fraction of what's needed to keep up with inflation. Picking individual stocks and bonds exposes investors to huge volatility and does nothing to guarantee a return.

While investors can dampen their volatility through various exchanges or closed ended funds, the reality is that few have the expertise needed to properly mix those funds, rebalance them, and optimize them for taxes to capture the best possible return (no matter how you define that) given each dollar of invested capital. Even if investors were able to pick optimal investment strategies, they'd find that that fees are a huge drag on performance.

This seems to us like something software should help solve. We'd like to see teams tackling each of the component issues around saving and investing, along with ones tackling the entire package.

Thanks alot !

Cai Gengyang