non-blocking getkey?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 18 07:26:12 EST 2015

On 11/18/2015 6:01 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> Ulli Horlacher <framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>
>> it is too complicated to rewrite my application from CLI to GUI.
>> But... is there a windows program with which one can select files and the
>> result is written to STDOUT?
>
> Found it:
>
> 	from Tkinter import Tk
> 	from tkFileDialog import askopenfilename
>
> 	Tk().withdraw()
> 	file = askopenfilename()

To get multiple names, add 's'.  On Windows, one uses control-leftclick
to get multiple names.  Don't know about other systems.

 >>> fd.askopenfilenames()  # ^click 4 names
('F:/Python/dev/27/Lib/idlelib/aboutDialog.py',
'F:/Python/dev/27/Lib/idlelib/AutoComplete.py',
'F:/Python/dev/27/Lib/idlelib/AutoCompleteWindow.pyc',
'F:/Python/dev/27/Lib/idlelib/Bindings.py')

The limitation is that this will not work if any of the file names
contain astral (non-BMP) chars because tk cannot handle such characters.

--
Terry Jan Reedy